Can iPhones be hacked?
Many of us tend to think that Apple products like iPhones, iPads, and Macs are the most reliable options on the market in terms of security. And while this is mostly true, even the most secure devices have vulnerabilities that hackers can exploit. Recently, Apple warned users about a vulnerability that allowed hackers to take control of the operating system, execute external code, and infect devices with malicious apps and web content.
Although iOS is more secure than Android, you should not blindly trust that all your files are completely safe. Following the best security recommendations is the most reliable way to secure your data.
Is it possible to hack an iPhone?
The short answer is – yes, iPhones can be hacked. This statement is true for any digital device.
But this does not mean that any iPhone user should immediately begin to worry about becoming a victim of cyber attacks. Apple has put a lot of work into creating a closed and secure iOS. This means that many security methods protect your iPhone from hackers and malware.
iOS code is very difficult to hack, so cybercriminals usually exploit users’ ignorance of security rules as the easiest way to hack iPhones. This means that human error and unwise user actions are the main reason for hardware hacking. So it is essential to know how to protect your device from hackers and what to do if your iPhone is hacked.
How to check if your iPhone has been hacked
Cybercriminals are finding more sophisticated ways to gain access to devices. A new study from the Technical University of Darmstadt in Germany has found that iPhones can be hacked even when they are turned off. The latest version of iOS 15 has added a feature that allows users to find their iPhone when it is turned off. So hackers have used this function to hack iPhones via bluetooth and install malware on the device.
This study confirms the idea that we can never be sure if our device has been hacked or not. This is why it is essential to scan your iPhone when you see any suspicious signs or unusual activity on your device.
Here is how you can find out if your iPhone has been hacked:
- Check installed applications. It is normal for many different applications to be downloaded and run on your iPhone. Multifunctionality is one of the reasons why we love our smartphones so much. But it would be better if you immediately uninstall any apps that you don’t know or don’t remember installing.
- Check battery consumption. iPhones can get hot when we play games for a long time or perform resource-intensive tasks. But it could be a sign of hacking if your phone is constantly overheating and draining your battery very quickly.
- Use special symbols. This may be new for many users. But there is already a dedicated phone hack code that you can use to check if your iPhone has been hacked. For example, if you order *#21#, You can determine if your device is tapped.
- Look for pop-ups and changes in the browser. You may see many different ads while browsing. But seeing a huge number of noisy pop-ups that you cannot close can be a sign of adware. You should also check for unauthorized changes in the browser to know if your iPhone has been hacked. Your home page may change on its own, or you may notice many bookmarks being added to strange websites that you don’t know.
How to protect your iPhone from being hacked
As mentioned earlier, hackers can exploit human errors and unwise actions to gain access to the device. This is why it is important to follow general security practices in keeping your iPhone safe.
Tips to protect your iPhone from hackers:
- Install the latest updates. You should always update your operating system, installed applications, and download the latest security patches.
- Use a VPN. Internet networks, especially when using public Wi-Fi, can be used to hack an iPhone. The VPN will encrypt your connection and change your IP address to hide your device from hackers.
- Secure your passwords. You should always use strong, complex passwords and set up two-factor authentication when possible. Using a password manager is also a great way to keep your passwords safe.
- Use mobile security software. Antivirus and antimalware software can detect and prevent malware attacks and make valid recommendations about securing your device. Clario is just one example of mobile security software. There are also plenty like Avast, Norton, and Bitdefender to choose from in the market.
- Turn off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi when not in use. This will ensure that no one can connect wirelessly to your device without your consent or approval.
iPhones are among the most secure mobile phones you can buy. But unfortunately, it is not completely bulletproof against hacking. This is why being careful about how you check your iPhone and protect it from hackers is the best way to keep your device completely safe.
Filed under: Apple, Apple iPhone, Guides
disclosure: Some of our articles include affiliate links. If you buy something through one of these links, Geeky Gadgets may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.
Latest Geeky Gadget Deals