a

Meghalaya suspended mobile internet for 48 hours after violence broke out in Shillong

Meghalaya suspended mobile internet for 48 hours after violence broke out in Shillong

The Meghalaya government has decided to extend the suspension of online and mobile data for another forty-eight hours after violence broke out in the capital, Shillong, on Thursday. An official statement said the suspension was imposed in seven regions.

The suspension which began at 10:30 am on Thursday has been extended for another forty-eight hours in the districts West Jaintia Hills, East Jaintia Hills, East Khasi Hills, Ri – Bhoi, Eastern West Khasi Hills, West Khasi Hills and South West Khasi Hills. Regions.

“Messaging system such as WhatsApp and social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, You Tube, etc. are likely to be used to transmit information through images, videos and texts, which may cause a serious breakdown of law and order.”

Tensions engulfed the Meghalaya capital, Shillong, after gunmen on Thursday night set fire to a traffic booth and attacked three police vehicles, including a city bus. “Reports have been received from the Police Headquarters of arson and damage to Assam registered vehicles from various parts of Shillong and other pockets in Jaintia Hills areas,” the official statement confirmed.

The incident took place during a candlelight vigil organized by some groups to protest the violence at the Assam-Meghalaya border on 22 November. Six people, including five Meghalaya natives and members of the Assam Forest Guard, were killed in a shooting accident in Makruh area of ​​West Jaintia Hills district of Meghalaya.

According to reports, the demonstrators threw stones and petrol bombs at the police forces deployed to calm tensions. Reports said that security personnel were forced to fire tear gas shells to disperse the demonstrators and impose order.

S said. Nungtinger, SP of East Khasi Hills, Shillong, said three police vehicles, including a city bus and a gypsy, were damaged in the accident.

“The miscreants set fire to a traffic booth in the city and threw petrol bombs at the police,” the delegate said.

Earlier on Wednesday, the governments of Assam and Meghalaya demanded an investigation by a central agency into the incident.

Meghalaya Chief Minister Konrad Sangma said a central agency should investigate the shooting.

“I have also had discussions with the Chief Minister of Assam about the incident. We demand a central agency to investigate the matter. The National Intelligence Agency or CBI should investigate the incident. The Assam government also agreed to this and said it would cooperate with the investigation. If ordered,” Sangma said central government to do so.

The Assam Supreme Petroleum Workers’ Authority said on Thursday it had suspended fuel transportation to Meghalaya, following reports of attacks on vehicles from Assam in the backdrop of violence along the border between the two states that left six dead.

Officials on Wednesday claimed that a group of villagers from Meghalaya vandalized and burned a forest office in Assam’s West Karbi Anglong district, after six people were killed in violence that took place in a disputed area along the border between the two states.

Protests and violence erupted when six people, including a forest ranger, were killed in violence in a disputed area on the Assam-Meghalaya border in the early hours of Tuesday after forest rangers from Assam intercepted a truck loaded with illegally felled timber.

The Meghalaya government has suspended mobile internet services in seven districts, while the Assam Police has sounded alert in the border districts and also ordered an investigation by a retired High Court judge into the matter.

Catch all the business news, market news, breaking news events and the latest news updates on Live Mint. Download the Mint News app to get daily market updates.

More is less


#Meghalaya #suspended #mobile #internet #hours #violence #broke #Shillong

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *