Saskatoon, Saskatchewan – (work wire) – Modern society would not have been possible without biotechnology. From vaccines and medicines to crops, food, detergents and industrial products, biotechnology benefits every area of our lives.
In Saskatchewan, we celebrate World Biotechnology Week to showcase the province’s scientific achievements and raise awareness of how science impacts our lives. Ag-West Bio coordinates the activities of World Biotechnology Week in Saskatchewan each year, with the support of a local committee. The week is filled with events, both for the audience and the industry.
Ag-West Bio President and CEO Karen Churchill says people in Saskatchewan have good reason to celebrate biotechnology. “We have world-class research going on here in our county, with prolific work in crop development, a top-notch vaccine research center, and all kinds of fermentation research and development activities. We should be proud of our scientific community.”
The Province of Saskatchewan, the City of Saskatoon, and the City of Regina have declared September 26 to October 2, 2022 as World Biotechnology Week.
Saskatchewan activities include:
- Nuit Blanche: Making Art with Bacteria – September 24 A beautiful collaboration between Nuit Blanche and Sask Polytechnic. Harmless e.coli bacteria are used as a painting medium. When bacteria multiply, magic happens! (Oskayak School – Broadway and Maine, Saskatoon).
- Taste of Innovation – September 26 – An industrial lunch at Bowfins to start a week of science celebration!
- Indigenous Voices in Science – September 27 Hosted by Genome Prairie, a panel of scholars and researchers will share their experiences and perspectives on advancing Indigenous peoples in research and science.
- Café Scientifique: Why communities are at the center of global conservation efforts – September 27 Join Dr. James Robson (USask) for a hybrid presentation at the Innovation Place.
- Canadian Light Source Tour – September 28 Take a synchrotron tour of Canada to learn how researchers and industry are using advanced synchrotron technologies to drive innovation in biotechnology.
Biotechnology Explosion: Amazing Innovations in Agriculture and Medicine with Dr. Kevin Volta – Sep 28
Learn how scientists work with nature to benefit people and the planet from Dr. Kevin Volta, University of Florida professor and award-winning science panelist.
Biotech & Beer @ The Mix: Original ‘micro’ breweries: Connecting yeast with beer flavors – September 29
The event includes a talk and beer tasting led by Dr. Chris Isco (USask), followed by Biotech Trivia!
- Climate Cool: Exploring Scientific Solutions to Sustainability – October 1 – Classroom farming will be at Nutrien Wonderhub with hands-on science activities on the table for all ages. A primer on how to design a poster to explain a science concept will prepare students for a poster contest!
- Sask Food Center Open House – October 4 Tour the Food Center and learn how a fermentation and bioengineering program can help accelerate food (and pet food) innovation.
- Start Upville Podcast Watch the special Biotechnology Week edition.
For event details, please visit www.globalbiotechweeksask.ca.
About World Biotechnology Week:
Canada Biotechnology Week originated in 2003, and is now recognized worldwide as World Biotechnology Week. Scheduled events across the United States, Europe, Australia and Canada highlight the innovation and creativity of life sciences researchers. BIOTECanada is leading the Global Biotechnology Week in collaboration with partners across Canada. To learn more about Global Biotechweek around the world, visit globalbiotechweek.ca.
About Ag-West Bio:
Ag-West Bio is the bioscience industry association in Saskatchewan. The company acts as a catalyst for the development of partnerships and industry growth in a dynamic economy through investments, assisting strategic alliances, providing business planning support, regulatory advisory, and communications. Ag-West Bio funding is provided by the Canadian Agricultural Partnership Program (CAP) of the Saskatchewan Department of Agriculture.
#Saskatchewan #celebrates #science #World #Biotechnology #Week #September #October